Saturday, November 10, 2012

Final project - The automatic gifter

So for my final project, I plan on making an automated gifting machine. Ive been looking into relational aesthetics and "the social practice". A few of the things that interest me/ overarching themes in my personal work is the suspension of time, animating the inanimate and the narration of a moment. Three artist's who I am looking at right now are Rirkrit Tiravanija, Felix Gonzalez-Torres and Tehching Hsieh.

As for the actual design of the piece, I am planning on building some kind of box or dispensing unit which will be mounted on the wall. It will have an internal corkscrew attached to a motor which will be triggered by a push button switch. The corkscrew will trap candy pieces inside the dispensing unit within its threads and as it turns, the candy will be pushed out of a small opening in the bottom of the box. Below is a video of my preliminary circuit. You will notice that it does not feature the use of a micro controller; just straight electronic wiring. I'm am considering using the arduino and writing a code that will run the motor for a specified amount of time when the switch is triggered.

No comments:

Post a Comment