Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Interview with Tom Igoe

Reading this interview made me think about my experience in Sensors class. It was frustrating in the beginning because I knew nothing about sensors or electronics and I still find it hard to follow sometimes, but as I keep working on the exercises it's super cool to see the result of the things we build. The concepts are so simple that they can be applied to multiple things therefore allowing a broader range for creativity and art. I feel some kind of power over machine when I see an LED light do as I "command" it. In the interview he mentions that he finds the work of those who are "pure" artists less interesting than those who also do commercial work. I think that working with electronics it would be hard to be just a "pure" artist because everything created would be an innovation of some sort. It makes me think of people in the Renaissance who were not only painters and sculptors but aslo architects, mathematicians, inventors etc. They used what they knew to make advancements in art. I think that it would be hard to be a "pure" artists because then we would just be limiting ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment