Monday, August 22, 2016

First Class

Questions:
  • A piece of art or interactive experience that uses electronics:
I can't think of any works that I've seen that've used sensors, but I can think of plenty of everyday interactions. My laptop is an interactive experience. Automated lights, sinks, and hand-dryers are somewhat more passive, but still interactive.
  • Previous experience with sensors:
I made a very rudimentary remote-control car in middle school; the sensor was just whether or not the battery was connected to the motor by a spring clip, which I did manually. I'm not sure if that counts as a sensor.
  • Learning/ideas:
I don't know much of anything about the hardware of electronics, so learning anything would be good. As for ideas, I really like Arthur Ganson's work, specifically his Machine with Oil. It's more intended to be a kinetic sculpture and doesn't use electronics, but I mostly like the idea of a machine that exists for its own pleasure, a machine that has autonomy and self-interest.

1 comment: