Wednesday, December 7, 2011

process work triumphs and failure

Below is process photos from my light crown. Which started off cleanly and simply as I had planned it. Everything was going perfect! The lights worked, and all I to do was perfect the code. When I brought them home, they must've gotten jostled, so only 2 of the worked solidly, the rest would only flash if I jostled around the crown. I got frustrated and perfected the code- which didn't work the way I wanted as you can see in my previous post, even though its completely valid if/else statement. THEN my computer started to lock up and make a computer 'beep' noise every time I tried to type on the keyboard, bc the arduino had been plugged in for a coupe hours now? I don't know. For a while, NONE of the lights worked, and now its just one. The piezo disks have been breaking off at alarming rates and I've been soldering them back on, but its not working at all. 

The photographs of my face you see are my display methods. My performance would include my audience coming into the black box, which would be extremely dark, with my crown as their "eyes" or only source of light in the room. I would offer participants food roughly resembling eyeballs (I have time for raspberries) and Once the participant ate one, they would flick off one of my lights- essentially eating my eye and throwing the room into darkness or "blindness."

St. Lucia had her eye gouged out and thats why she's the saint of light, because she was blind. I confuses me why this is glossed over in the celebration, which uses the oldest girls to wear candle crowns and offer people sweet snacks. It's a little twisted, so in my performance I wanted to include the process of communal eating, but in a way I think is more pertain able to the holiday.    

Video of code













1 comment:

  1. a literally perfect example of my issues just happened. When I was soldering the wires earlier, I crossed a couple on accident, but I figured them all out and fixed all the mistakes.

    so now, in trying to trouble shoot why the lights aren't working, I cut the negative and the positive wires, striped them a little bit, turned the power back on and carefully touch the opposite wires to each other to see if I had switched the wires. The led didn't go off, so I reversed and touched the wires to the way they were before and the led went on.

    Good right? NO, because when I soldered them back together, with plenty of solder in the same exactly way they were when the light went on... it didn't go on. It's out, just like the rest.

    Is the solder I'm using bad?

    ReplyDelete