Saturday, December 3, 2011

Project Progress

Over the past few days, I've been playing around with my motors and proximity sensors. I managed to get one ultrasonic range finder to control one motor, however, since I currently have a servo motor that only rotates 180 degrees, it does not provide enough range to be really effective. i tried switching it out with a continuous rotation servo, but I can't get it to work. I think it has something to do with setting a range for the angle degrees, but in trying this theory out, I was unsuccessful. The other problem I am currently having is hooking up the second servo motor to the other proximity sensor. As of now, it seems like both servos are getting information from only one range finder, so they move in the same fashion instead of both being individually controlled by their respective range finder. I'm sure there is a reasonable fix for this, but I may end up using a second arduino instead since I don't want wires bridging the gap between my project. To be clear, here is a basic diagram showing my set up:


Also, here is a video of the single servo working with an ultrasonic range finder:



I have also began working on the rope that I will be using in this sensor tug-of-war. I had some extra strips of burlap that were fraying at the sides and another material that I believe is muslin (I could be wrong). Right now, I have some long strips braided together. It has a very raw and also distressed look and feel. I want to try a knotted rope as well, but for now, here is some of the braided rope that I made:


I really like working with fabrics. Both of the ones I used here are rough, but in different ways. I also like how the burlap leaves little traces of fibers on everything it touches. Because the rope is braided, it has some give to it. When you pull on both ends, the braid stretches out first until it reaches a certain point, and then becomes completely taught.

As of now, I have some doubled up thread on both sides in order to attach it to the servos. The next step after I get the whole mechanism working is to create some sort of housing for the motors. I plan on building little wooden boxes with a hole in one side for just the proximity sensor, and space on the top of the box to nest the motor body.The rotating part will peel over the top. I'm hoping to use already found pedestals or some sort of table. Ideally, I would like there to be separation between the two sides, so pedestals would be ideal.

Ending this novel here. More to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment