Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Reflections (which I forgot to publish)

[Oops. This has been in draft mode the entire time.]

How is this art?

What does this say about Art of today?
What do I think is the concept of this project?
What is my intention of the physical project? (How it will work, look, etc.)
What do I think others will take from this project?
Best qualities?
Current weakest qualities?


I think this is considered art because it is a thought-provoking visual representation of a complex concept. Is there any clear definition for art? I think my biggest difficulty when it comes to trying to answer these questions is I'm trying to found some boundary is what is and isn't art. Its not an entirely "purely for instruction" object, so its more art than a tool, but it also uses technology we would usually never think of for an art piece. Maybe that's what makes it art though. Is uses a technology normally never used for art, in an artistic, new, unintended way.

The concept of this is multifaceted. I think this project has something ot do with self image in the sense of "comfort in your own skin" in a way. Saying this, I mean that this project is intended to hide that false facade of assurance of "strength" people tend to work on when many of use actually walk around as unsure with ourselves, with others, and with situations as the others. Someone can stand in front of a hundred people giving a speech, look like they are completely confident, like its as simple as sitting in front of a mirror, but inside their heart is racing, their palms are sweating and they're at war with their own minds not to suddenly forget how to read and talk. This project does not even consider what kind of false image of yourself you are trying to portray and instead simply takes your body's involuntary responses to portray how strong (calm) or unsteady (anxious) you really are inside. Its an unveiling; a reveal.




No comments:

Post a Comment