Sunday, October 28, 2012

Some issues we ran into that were not mentioned at the critique:

One thing I never mentioned is we had to use Processing 1 (not the new Processing 2) because our coding does not work in Processing 2. Why? No idea. But it worked on the original. At the beginning of the project I was using Processing 1 an then somewhere along the way someone recomended I install the NEW Processing 2. Well I am very glad I didn't uninstall Processin 1 because the Processing portion of our code was completely useless in Processing 2. We had issues with the webcam feed and with the serial connection with arduino.

Also, a problem we ran into was when we extended the cables. The sensor is temperamental  as most of the class's sensors are) but it was about 80% accurate pre-extension. Then we extended the cables and suddenly the sensor went crazy and was incredibly touchy and was a guess wether or not it was reading correctly. Big bummer. This lead to us having to find new ways to attach the sensor to the volunteer. Our new issues with the extended cables is that the sensor would misread a pulse when it was moved too harshly. Our new issue was keeping the cables loose enough to allow movement of the volunteer, but the sensor part firmly against the volunteer's finger, but not too tight that circulation to the finger would be lost and the pulse would no longer be detected.

I wish the suggestion to attach the sensor to a pedestal that the participant puts their hand on had been offered before the critique because our project could have been much more successful than it was. This pedestal idea would have allowed us to use the sensor as-is plugged directly into the arduino without any extended cables and the issues we had with accuracy could have been reduced.

I know we had some heavy critiquing on why we needed a visual, and I mean no disrespect but I still stand by my thoughts that we needed a visual element. I think without it the project wouldn't even be art because it would just be a badly made medical device. The point of the project was displaying this data and the volunteer participating.


No comments:

Post a Comment