Monday, October 29, 2012

mid-term reflect and final project thoughts


Mid-Term Reflection . . .

My mid-term project ended up being more challenging that I anticipated.  First was the difficulty of wiring the cameras. I still do not know how I could have found the data to determine what resistor would be required to not short the switches on the camera. Other than the switches shorting out, the camera part was not that bad, the examples that I found on-line I just modified based on my camera’s wiring and reviewed and modified their code.  Regarding the humidity/temperature sensor, I was able to find too much information and it became a bit overwhelming, yet I was able to follow and hook up and use the sensor.  I also had an issue with battery life, both the arduino and the camera.

To improve upon this project, I have a list of things that I would change. First, the power issue needs to be addressed. I would need to research and understand the camera circuit board better, so that I can wire to stay on. Then, I need to disable the lcd screen to use less power. Thirdly, I would want to connect the entire set-up to a solar panel as main power source. Hopefully these changes would allow for a longer duration of the camera being installed outside.  

I would also want to attach an SD card to the arduino, to record the time/temperature/humidity of each trigger point/image capture. I also need to calibrate the humidity sensor, as for the first trial, it was not calibrated, only firing upon a change in measurements.  

In the small print installation that I had for critique. I did enjoy the aesthetics of the prints working together like pixels revealing a larger image. I would keep the smaller images, in a tight tiled arrangement, but I would want a much larger bank of images.  My goal would be to have a multiple day capture, that could create a wall of images (height of 7 to 8 feet) and as wide if not wider. I think that would build on the undulation of the images, the shifts in color and gradations as images move through time.

I also enjoyed Jason’s digital recommendation for an on-line rendition, where each image would be clickable with data for the viewer.

With each above mentioned change, I would also like to install in a minimum of three different places.


Final Project Plans . . .

For my final project, I want to use some of the sensor types and reactions (sound and visual) to activate a space through movement. I plan to grid out the black box and strategically map an array of motion sensors, with a small activation cone. These sensors when tripped will either trigger a sound or visual reaction. My goal is for the sensor placement and reaction to not be readily obvious to the viewer. I want the viewer’s body moving through the space to create a cinematic response. I would also like to program a variety of responses into each arduino, so that based on the amount of time lapsed since last activation a different response will be triggered. I’m thinking a spatial poetry, to refer to Mallarme. I will be working alone.  To complete this project, first I need the supplies: 10 arduino, 10 motion sensors, and I will build 10 mounting boxes.  For the installation, I will need two projectors (and need to figure out how to wirelessly connect to arduinos or a covert wiring method). For the creation of the mis-en-scene narrative elements, I will be working from the ongoing concept of my work to create a stand-alone sphere eco-system, reflecting upon economic impacts on land use and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment