Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Bird project 1

 started by creating a found object bird that I can then animate with moving wings and a motion sensor to make the bird move when people are around. As in it reacts to motion, its response is to fly when people get near, much like a bird in nature would do when feeling threatened. I created this bird out of multiple metal parts that I gathered from thrift stores around the area.


My first task was to create a working mechanics for the wings to be able to flap powered by a stepper motor. Here I have assembled the mechanics with the stepper to make the wings flap by pull of two strings. The design failed since the stepper motor was not strong enough to be able to handle the torque required to life such a weight. I would need to plan the wings in a more seesaw fashion to handle the weight.


Here I have created a longer armature for the wing span and retested the stepper motor to see if it could handle the torque of the wings and it again failed due to the weight. It would turn but would fail on the down swing. I am also unhappy with the distance the wings can move due to the small space the motor is needed to be kept in.

Here is a video of the functioning wings. They are set at 50 speed, if increased once again they fail due to the torque required. I am presently waiting for a higher torque level stepper motor, with that I can probably increase the wing movement and torque specifications to be able to create a more life like wing flap. I will also be attaching extra moving items to the bird, more mechanical, like a turbine rear wing. I want to keep the bird semi nostalgic and he must be created out of "so called" waste products. Items that have been thrown or given away due to their lack of "so called" value.

No comments:

Post a Comment