Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Progress of Microphone project 1

Initial project idea was to have a set of Electret microphones running a series of different lights as it picked up the sound in the room. The sounds being divided into 6 tonal ranges and each tonal range being a different color of light. I attempted a series of experiments with the microphones.
This is the purchase site page and info.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9964
I used this experiment code on this page to test the Electret microphone.
I was receiving fluctuating ranges and there was no sound.
I tried a different code to test the Electret and received an increasing number that went to 2400 and then fluctuated by 30 either direction with or without sound.
I began tapping the end of the microphone to see if I could get a reaction. There were changes but I couldn't tell if they were random or because it was being tapped or because the wires were being moved.
I decided that I must have damaged the microphone in the process of soldering on the end pins so I waited until the next day to get another microphone and try again.
I brought a second microphone home and soldered the ends onto it and tried the same couple of sample sketches from before with different results, however nothing that seemed to indicate that this microphone was performing its function either.
I tried 4-5 more sketches from projects around the internet that I did not save the links too and all had results of numbers fluctuating around 2400 or -550 or random in general and non seemed to react to sound. Wanting to be able to break the sound into tonal values would be nearly impossible with this microphone according to the experiments that I did with the device so I am attempting a new project.
Some of the saved sketches and sites I visited during my search for answers.
http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Dance-Room/?ALLSTEPS
https://learn.adafruit.com/piccolo/code

No comments:

Post a Comment