Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Soft Rains Reflection

Ray Bradbury is a really interesting science fiction author with a gift of relating technology to our lives as humans. The story has an incredibly eerie undertone in a post-apocalyptic world; destruction hinter by nuclear warfare. Though the house in the story is completely automated, the interaction with technology is not unlike those in my own. While I do not have a voice that wakes me up, I have an alarm who frantically hopes to awake someone with its singing. The nursery with glass walls is also an interesting case as I have sheets of class that change colors and create fantasy, though they are not wall-sized. Overall it's interesting to note how many of the technologies Bradbury is suggesting have come into existence and will very likely be available in all consumer homes in the near future. My overall attitude towards my dependence and integration with everyday technology is there are a lot of things that technology makes easier, such as access to running water in my home and the entire epitome of knowledge available to me 24/7. I don't personally believe the amount of dependence on technology I currently have is necessarily a problem or the amount of integration but I think I could probably waste less resources (like water) on a daily basis. As a society I think we're probably a little overly integrated and dependent just because when I think about what we would do without refrigerators, toilets, electric razors, etc. I could see a dissent into some chaos. I think waste management and conservation in general is something to be addressed as technology further advances.

No comments:

Post a Comment