Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Crit Reflection and Documented Images

I really enjoyed the feedback from Julia about the box being like a coffin.  I entertained the thought of it being like a jewelry box, cigar box, and treasure box - happy precious items - but it didn't cross my mind that it was also like a coffin or an urn, still items of precious value, but in a solemn, sentimental, or even morbid way.  I like the element of sinister that this idea brings to the piece.  If we were to expand on this, we could emphasize that aspect more to add more dimension to the concept.
When we had the piece up and running, I saw the interior of the box as being more galaxy-like than I expected as well.  I think the clay/dirt facade being silhouetted by the dim lights was part of this issue.  However,  I didn't mind it - the galactic appearance gave the interior of the box a Narnia kind of feel, which was pretty cool and part of what we were going for.
Despite some debate over whether the quote on the box was necessary, I still think it was important to direct the ideas of the viewer to the earth - especially since in the interior was going in more of a galactic direction.  However, I love and encourage different interpretations because, after all, that's what art affords!  But I do agree in hindsight that the quote may have functioned better on the interior of the box.
I think Kerry and I were self-conscious that we had some obvious problems with the clay inside the box, and we just didn't want anyone to point it out as if we didn't know, haha.  But thankfully, I don't even think our mistakes were as evident as we thought because of the darkness inside the box.

Here are some documented images & videos from crit day!







No comments:

Post a Comment