Friday, December 7, 2012

Major Progress and Finalizing to my Brain Project

I have made SIGNIFICANT progress on my project..

Since the "Arduino sound detection module" has yet to come in yet, I have resorted to changing up my concept a little bit. Instead, I will be using a rangefinder for my sensor and creating an analogy with, again about communication. The analogy will be that as a person gets closer to you and interacts with you, you get a better understanding of who they are, and the light allows you to see them as a visual way of processing. The closer the person is to the rangefinder, the more lights that will light up and the more you can see in the room. It's not as clear as I had made the communication with the speech analogy, but I still think it connects to my theme of connection overall.

Here are some of my videos of my progress:

This is the first test on my single large diffused red 10mm LED:


This is my test with the shift registers that did not end up being needed, but I put it on here for process anyways:


Here is the original code that I got from Nisa working with the rangefinder the LED she used. In this test, as you get closer to the rangefinder, it dims until it goes out. As you move away, the light is the brightest. Here it is:


Then we modified this project to work with 3 LEDs. We also sectioned out the distances into three categories of different ranges. Each LED would light up when an object came into it's range and it would eventually be a cumulative bright spectrum when you came closest to the rangefinder (or what will be the brain. Here is the video for that:


Since this  was successful, I replicated the process and assigned 12 different LEDs to each pin and changed them to be more sensitive to range according to how far or close you are. This was successful as well, although slightly buggy when it gets to a further range, but I'm happy with the product. Here it is:


















These are a few close ups of the 12 LED rangefinder unity I will be using:




These are a few sketches that I want to show you as to how this will work in the critique sense: Also, there are some good sites about language and other things that I had originally planned on having before the project turned in the direction of closeness.




This is the side view where the LEDs will be placed. They will still be connected with the parietal lobe,  to represent an understanding of the person's connection. As the person comes closer, the Rangefinder in the front will sense this and the LEDs will cumulatively light up based on distance.


This is the front view where the black dot is going to represent the position of the rangefinder. The cross hatched area is representative of panty hose. The objective is to have my whole head covered by this brain and the only way I can tell if someone is close to me or the only way I feel connections to the outer world are by people coming close and interacting with me. 



This was just a brain model I drew to map out where the parietal lobe is and what it will have as far as LEDs are concerned.



No comments:

Post a Comment