Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Blog 1

Well, as far as the first question goes, I haven't gotten the chance to experience electronic art first hand in a gallery or what not. I have researched and done a presentation on an artist I believe in one of your previous classes, Chico Macmurtrie (sp?), who used electronics as a medium for his art. I really enjoyed his art because he contrasted the highly industrial/mechanical with beautiful organic forms. I believe he idealized a vehicle/robot that transformed into a totem pole. He also had a mechanical tree that responded to human interaction and it's environment. If it was touched or spoken to, it would have different reactions. I wish I could have experienced his work first hand, I feel like it would have been a very interesting experience to see such clearly mechanical forms take the place of what should have been a common and familiar interaction with an organic object.

I took this class because I'm really interested in Digital Media. I also thought electronics would be a nice follow up to the Programming for artists class that I took last semester with Katerie. Electronics has always been something I've sort of been interested in and I'd like to see what I can learn and create this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment