Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sensor Search

I had a nice walk looking for sensors. I decided to head towards the union, walking through classrooms along the way.
  • I started by looking at an emergency 911 station, where you press a button and supposedly help will be there withing 30 seconds. I guess its just a phone with a button.
  • Dorms have rfid cards that can get a person in a dorm through a wallet or purse which is pretty cool.
  • In Rinker, classrooms have sensors that turn the ac and lights on when a room is occupied
  • I was wondering if the campus lights have day sensors on them.
  • Soda machines here are pretty advanced, they have a debit card system that deducts from a uf account.
  • People were filming an event at the union, the video cameras have all sorts of focus and light sensor
  • Library West has bookshelves that move and sensors that prevent crushing someone
I also talked to a lot of people about sensors.
  • One friend who works in the Union told me her office has a sensor that turns the lights off if there is no movement. When she is sitting still and using a mouse, the lights turn off and then she has to stand and wave to turn them back on
  • someone also told me that they like the sensors at publix that monitor people by the freezers. Lights only turn on when people are nearby
On my walk, I wanted to talk to people at a blood mobile. There are probably electronics that do simple blood tests to make sure its safe for you to donate. Thats about it for my walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment