Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I think the Nintendo Wii was the last interactive electronic experience that surprised me. I dunno if I would call it "profound" but having played video games since like 1995, it's impressive to see how far they've come. The motion control in a lot of games makes the experience more enthralling... I have almost no hardware experience/knowledge but I just find it interesting.

I chose Digital Media because... well, it sorta goes back to the video games thing. I played them when I was young, but when I got older I got interested in how they functioned, etc. I'm not so much interested in writing the code and such for them as designing the visual aspects for them, and getting into animation, where I feel the artistic side can shine. I dunno, I just think there are thousands of possibilities in games that haven't even been touched yet, and I'd like to explore them.

Besides that, though, I feel like digital tools can pretty much do anything. I know that they can never replicate the manmade feel of a traditional painting, etc., but there's such a wide array of tools available from digital media--sound, animation, and even alternate forms of more traditional media. I've also heard in the past that artists who use digital tools are somehow lesser or don't even create "real art", and I wish there was some way I could convince people with that mentality otherwise...

No comments:

Post a Comment