Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Cyborg

The most profound interactive experience I've probably had with technology is... to be quite honest, probably the computer and the world wide web. A close second would probably be with my cell phone, since it's constant presence on me (pocket, backpack) has turned me somewhat into a cyborg. The computer and internet has just become so integrated into my daily life that I am so, almost completely, a part of it. I use it to keep in contact with people, research interesting topics, stumble upon new interesting topics, read books, make art, see other people's art, listen to music, and millions of other things. At first I felt it cliched to list this as the technology that has influenced me the most, but it cannot be avoided - the internet and computer together have become an extension of myself. As far as electronics go, my experience goes as far as a little reading on how to build a LED hula hoop (and other LED-fied things), so I guess I really have little to no actual technical skill.
In the Digital Media program I hope to get a better grasp of technology in an art sense. I want to be able to not only build virtual constructs but physical constructs as well, working things that express a concept or idea. So, ideally, my skill set will increase and I will be able to combine my other areas of interest with these new skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment