The Theory of Affordances: Questionaire
- Pick three aspects or environmental conditions of the room/Describe them as a affordance/What activity is described?
-Water Fountain: Human vs Kitty
Humans have hands w which to push the button. Kitty does not have hands w which to push the button.
Human has lips with which to suck water from the stream. Kitty does not have these lips.
Most adult humans are tall enough to reach the stream of water. Most kittys are not tall enough to reach the stream of water.
-Vending Machine: Human vs Sloth
Humans understand the concept of currency. Sloths do not understand the concept of currency.
Humans are accustomed to interacting with mechanical/electronic devices. Sloths are not accustomed to interacting with mechanical/electronic devices.
Humans have soft fleshy fingers with which to push the buttons/ Sloths have large curved claws inappropriate for interacting with the vending machine interface.
Humans understand signification and coding which makes ordering food from a vending machine possible/Sloths do not understand signification or coding which makes ordering food from a vending machine very difficult.
-Electric Outlet: Human vs Turtle
Humans have thumbs with which to grasp and electric plug. Turtle do not.
- What do you think the difference is between usefulness and utility in respect to affordances?
Usefulness relates to whether or not an affordance makes a specific task easier or not. Utility refers to the specifics of how the task is completed. A good example would be the light switch vs light dimmer.
- What might be a false affordance?
Walking into a sliding glass door
- Sometimes we are not aware of the affordances around use. Yes, affordances are cultural, consider eastern style and western style toilets. Yes they are different for people with disabilities depending on the disability.
5. Many affordances are taken for granted. When it comes to interactive art, people may not know that they can interact with a particular piece of art. This is when an artist must consider affordances in order to understand how to signify that an interaction is encouraged.