Wednesday, September 16, 2015

9/16 - Semester Project Brainstorming

After talking about my project a little bit, I have some technologies to look into further.
The Arduino LilyPad looks very promising. I love that you can just sew it into the fabric via the loops it has.
The lilypad Arduino website has some interesting projects to look at:
http://lilypadarduino.org/?cat=15

It gives me a brief idea of what's capable with this tech. Many of the projects have the lilypad as a prominent feature in the design. I would have to think about it more, but I think I might prefer to think of a way to conceal it via hidden zippers and pouches on whatever I make.

I'm still leaning toward a plush toy sort of connection that could either repel or attract the viewer in some way. Through briefly browsing the projects on the site I also have become open to making some sort of small, functional garment.

Madeline's presentation of Imogen Heap really inspired me and looking at the lilypad now, it's appealing to try and make a garment as well.

As I continue to brainstorm, I want to dig deeper in the idea of touch and sensing through touch. As someone who regularly works with textiles, I find that the attraction to touch materials is very powerful. When I make a plush, people around me always want to touch it. In a gallery setting, you can see their struggle with whether or not they're allowed  to act on their desire to touch the object. I think with further exploration that this idea could produce and interesting piece.

I will definitely be using conductive thread and possibly a lilypad for my first sketch to determine the plausibility of such an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment