Sunday, September 13, 2009

3 Artists

I have forgotten the name of the first artist I would like to talk about. The artwork was titled "The double take machine" or something similar. Anyway the piece looks like an inflatable tube with big googly eyes. However, sensors in the robotic form track human beings and make the robot do a double take when someone enters the gallery space. I really enjoyed the piece when I first saw a video of it because this simple machine seemed very alive when it was programmed to think about the presence of people.

The second artist I want to discuss is Tom Gerhardt. I was looking at the most recent projects completed with processing (a closely related language to wiring), and found his Mud Tub project. The piece basically uses mud as a sensor, and you can play games or interact with stuff on screen, by playing a a tub of mud. His site is at http://tomgerhardt.com/, and many of his projects use sensors and materials in a variety of ways.

My third artist is just a high school student from Virginia. He had the opportunity to work with the Naval Research Laboratories and he designed custom arduino board to be used in space that you can communicate with. the forum is here http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1236996885


No comments:

Post a Comment