Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Questionnaire (Jason and Don)

Do you prefer to look at a manual or just fidget with something?

Jason: I prefer to just fidget with it first and then when I need help with a specific function I will use the manual to look up the information that I need. I think I can learn a lot more about how things work if I fidget with it myself.

Don: I prefer to go with the manual first and try to learn the most I can from the text and/or figures.

What's the longest that you have fiddled with something in the last few years?

Jason: I am the kind of person that will work on something, no matter how long it takes, in order to complete my objective. I just spent 2 weeks attempting to get both a Wii and a PS2 emulator to work on my computer. Fortunately, I got them both to work after a lot of trial and error and I even helped write a guide on how to do it.

Don: I spent two and a half weeks trying to get a steam engine to work (that I had built and designed myself).




Describe a physical interaction that does not work. (A habitual error)

Jason: On the back roads behind Butler Plaza there is a road sign that is signaling an approaching stop sign. Even though I know not to start breaking, I immediately put my foot on the break when I see that sign.

Don: I always push the door to the advanced sculpture studio instead of pulling it.

Interactions with architecture: Music Auditorium/Former Catherdral

As for physical interactions, we ended up having to use the outside steps to reach a higher level but we ultimately used the elevator to reach the highest point. All of the doors were heavy and wooden, so we had to interact with them to enter the building. Also there were some locked doors, so we had to interact with the locked parts.

Instances of visibility or lack of visibility:

For the most part, the building itself does a good job of obstructing the view of other people. Having a lot of narrow staircases as well as smaller rooms, it was easy to lose sight of another person. Also the windows overlooking Turlington Plaza were tinted, which allowed for the outside to be visible to us, but nobody on the outside could look in at us. The balconies however ended up having good visibility.

Instances of affordance:

There were a great deal of objects in the building that had some functional aspect related to physical interaction with a person. Handrails were commonplace as well as water fountains. We found grips on all of the interior staircases, aiding in the creation of friction to prevent accidents. There was an elevator as well and strategically placed trashcans.

Instance where the physical attributes of an object mimic their function:

Jason: I think that any instance of a container generally fits well with its design.

Don: See comment below.

Instance where the physical attributes of an object differ from their function:

Jason: Any form of light bulbs. Functionally to achieve good lighting you would want many small light sources instead of just one; this provides for more even lighting.

Don: See comment below.

Instance of an object that you can only use a part of (too many functions):

Jason: I have always thought that microwaves tend to have so many functions with such few buttons to achieve particular tasks.

Don: See comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment