Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Design of Everyday Things Chapter 1

I enjoy reading this book so far. I was expecting it to be a little outdated, but the problems he explains in the book are still overlooked today, and modern technology has made devices even more difficult to use. For example the phone is still a very problematic device. Now with the advent of touchscreens, some devices have as little as two physical buttons to complete the functions of a computer. I have played around with an iphone and other touch devices, but they all have their problems. The iphone is probably the best designed, but there are times where I still get lost on it.

Why haven't they fixed the door problem yet, I feel every week I push or pull a door the wrong way and its embarrassing. Maybe store owners just enjoy laughing at fumbling customers?

This all reminds me of a conversation I had with my roomate. She was babysitting a 6 year old over the weekend when a toy ukulele broke. My roomate said she didn't know how to fix it, the six year old said, "...we can just google it." I realized that I was born before the internet, when computers should barely do a spreadsheet. I wonder if or when it will be so complex that I will have trouble keeping up. This generation that learns the word 'google' right after 'mom' and 'dad' will push technology really far. But there will be problems of designing it for simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment