Wednesday, September 23, 2009

DEOT4

I guess a dark room has many meanings that we have adopted from our cultures. Our project will use and mutate these preconceptions to effect the viewer's psyche and mental/physical state. The darkness is a physical constraint with many preconceptions attached, it also has different cultural meanings for each person.

I was unable to find a door that I could not discern the way it worked. Doors around campus seem to be designed/laid out in a way that makes it possible for every person to open in at least 2 tries. I think that for a door to be so confusing as to keep people from opening it properly, the architect of that door had that difficulty in mind. The hinges would have to be totally hidden, no locking mechanism, and no visual markings at all on the door.
I have pictures on my phone but am unable to upload them at this time.

The entrance is a physical door, so that is pretty intuitive on what to do. The only light source in the room will be at the opposite wall and hopefully will guide people around the room and get them to move away from the door a little. We need to figure out the best placement for the light source, and the intensity of the light, to lead the viewer but also keep the room darker.

For me, the circuit diagrams make sense about 95% of the time, there are those few that make little sense if they introduce a new type of system. If I mess up the circuit the first time I troubleshoot until I get it, or look at a reference online. A voltage divider didn't make sense to me at first, but after playing with that system some more, I figured out how it works.

There are often error sounds or confirmation beeps with items that help to navigate or figure the system out. These help me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment