Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Design of Everyday Things ch.1

This book isn't a terrible read so far. The chapters are long, but I can follow the flow of what is being said and think on it. I find it amusing sometimes because the author is obviously in the nineties. CDs are being mentioned, but not DVDs. VHS is mentioned as a new technology and cassette tapes are still prevalent apparently. So I get a kick out of designs being mentioned in a wishful manner and then, comparing in my mind to see if it already exists. For example at the end of the chapter the author asked for a ridiculous design (because why would you want a toaster outlet in your boombox, and why would you want your boombox on your telephone?). Thinking about it however, it was basically a clunkier version of the cellphone with the exception of the toaster outlet, cd player, and cassette deck. The latter two are unnecessary now that we have digital music however.

What I really took away from the first chapter was the importance of design. You don't really think about it, because as a buyer you're only interested in "can I use it?" and the convenience of everything. You don't consider they "why" of that. I faced many of the same situations described in the book, particularly with doors. It's frustrating. When I design websites I consider these sorts of things, but with my art I never gave it deep thought. I think that has to do with your audience as well. For me,w hen i think of websites I consider the elderly or the computer illiterate. With art projects I feel that art students and teachers will see them, and that this audience will think abstractly. While that's true I feel I shouldn't take that for granted and be more considerate in the future if my project calls for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment