Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Alan and Sarah C.

Fiddle faddle or manual?
Sarah - If something's not working I take it apart, sometimes I mess it up worse. I like to fiddle faddle.
Alan - I do the same, if I can't get that thing to work one day, I'll come back to it in a few hours/days and try some more.

When was the last time you tried to make something work?
Sarah - I took my box fan apart, one of the wires shorted out, and I fixed it.
Alan - I fixed my friend's RROD xbox 360, I used some online tutorials though, so the fiddle faddling doesn't really apply.

Travels and using a piece of technology incorrectly.
Sarah - Anything I use incorrectly I think I deliberately use incorrectly.
Alan - the same.

Object from the recent past that did not function as you assumed it should.
Sarah - The lab whose knobs make no sense what so ever.
Alan - These chairs are crazy.

Object that has too few visual controls for tasks or confusing controls.
Sarah - Since I don't really read the manuals, I don't know all the controls on my digital camera.
Alan - Single knob on washer and dryer that control all functions. Multi-functions were annoying to program and run though.

Favorite everyday object?
Sarah - My shoes, they protect my feet, they are fashionable and comfortable.
Alan - Coffee/espresso machine, makes my morning caffeine fix possible before I leave the house. Single button for each function, and the matte black finish is oh so nice.

Walk Notes

Instances of visibility or lack there of?
-when alan walked into doors, he seemed slightly drawn to corners. At one point he actually disappeared, literally, like poof, and he's gone... reappeared sporting a donkey and sombrero. I was confused at first but then I just accepted it.

Know how to interact with architecture?
-Door knobs are on side of door you open. Handicapped button indicated door. When door had no outward visual signs, they opened on the side the verticle window was located.
-Hallways are very directional, and the stairs didn't leave any room for questions as to their function/direction. Waterfountain operation clearly marked with large PUSH bar?
-Elevators all function in a similar manner and due to previous experience with an elevator or two, he knew what to do. UP and Down clearly labeled.

Do the physical properties match perceptions?
-Elevator's properties matched perceptions, they go up and down.
-Doors open and close
-The handicapped push button has symbol of door opening, but poorly designed, a pen poke not centered on pad will not activate doors.
-Fire alarms are covered and this cover deterrs pranksters from pulling button but also hinders the rapid activation of fire alarm which could lead to more injuries than necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment