Monday, November 21, 2011

Disappointing Progress this Weekend

So I have all the materials I need to learn how the wave shield and proximity sensors work. I have the tutorials available to me via the Lady Ada website

How to make and use the wave shield
http://www.ladyada.net/make/waveshield/

Installing the wave shield libraries and running a practice sketch to play audio
http://www.ladyada.net/make/waveshield/libraryhc.html

and the proximity sensor halloween pumpkin example.
http://www.ladyada.net/make/pumpkin/pumpkin.html


I know other people class have gotten this to work, I have tried for hours and hours and I can't even get the wave shield to play audio. Therefore I couldn't even move on to getting the proximity sensor hooked up.

Initially, I was vey confused as how to get started. I was looking at the tutorial for how to make the wave shield to understand the different parts on it. I was lucky to get one already assembled from Lu and Dan Dan, but because it already had wires coming out of it, and the wave shield in the example did not I wasn't sure how exactly to attach it to the Arduino. I just tried to use common sense and plug the wires coming out of the wave shield into the corresponding pins on the Arduino.

Because it's not setup like it is in the examples I can't help but wonder if thats whats causing me problems???


For some time I was having a problem with the code, to test out the wave shield- the example I was doing was supposed to play all the wav audio files on the SD card in a loop. After a few hours i fixed the problem with the code, turns out I didn't install the necessary libraries properly. THEN the code worked just fine, but still there was no audio playing from the wave shield.

I don't have speakers right now so I was using my headphones plugged into the audio jack. I can hear some static like noise, confirming that the headphones are plugged in- however none of the audio files on the disk are being played back.



I'm just frustrated at this point, hopefully someone in class can help me see something that I'm not, so i can going on this.

Here's an image of what I have setup

No comments:

Post a Comment