Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Random Bubble of Thought!

So this idea just popped into me head (I wasn't in the bathroom this time, I was washing dishes and listening to Britney Spears)

After today's discussion I was thinking a lot about the Andrea Fraser piece, and how I kept saying that I'm not trying to say the same things as she is. BUT... maybe I am to some degree. She's commenting on the museum system. When she describes the "art" on her tour she blows the descriptions up until they sound ridiculous. she's getting this from somewhere...
I think some artwork can have this high and mighty reputation, like only people who are well educated in fine arts can have an appreciation for it. They use fancy art terminology that regular people don't understand. It's one thing to know art vocabulary and use it in context, but It's demeaning when people use it to show off their art knowledge to people who aren't familiar with it.

I can speak from experience, because this has happened to me, it still happens to me today. Sometimes it's nice to have a conversation about art and use the english language. It works, you can have meaningful conversations and exchanges of information about art without going above everyone's heads: I do it all the time with my students. Thats how you learn.

What if i used a Painting thats not well known, perhaps a painting that an art expert would talk about using lots of fancy art terminology, and what if I made it more accessible to people who are not familiar with it. I make it more accessible by eliminating the stuffy-ness and bringing in humor by having it sing this fun upbeat catchy song. NOT what you would expect to go with the work, NOT how you would expect to learn anything about it, BUT it works and as the viewer you DONT feel stupid for not knowing big fancy art words.

No comments:

Post a Comment