Sunday, November 6, 2011

Thoughts on final project

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2010/12/ideo-c60-redux-rfid-music-player/

I'm sure most, if not all of you, have seen this project before. It utilizes RFID tags and a reader as a way to revert back to the physicality of playing music, i.e. records, tapes, cds. I've been quite fascinated with RFIDs and have encountered them in so many more places that I had originally realized. I know that for this project, I want to utilize RFIDs in some way, but I'm not quite sure how to at this moment. I've been exploring the capabilities of what it can do. A lot of people use it to create locking mechanisms, such as the key card readers to get into the dorms at UF.

The following video is a brief explanation for how it works: http://vimeo.com/20101697

Someone using an ethernet sheild and an RFID tag to post updates to twitter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghDEIslRGxA

Radio Frequency Identification tags are often used on packaging and merchandise to track shipments. Each tag has its own unique id which makes it ideal, as well as the fact that it does not have to be seen directly like a barcode. Also, the tag is usually powered not through a battery, but by energy produced by the RFID reader.

I find the idea of identity interesting, especially the notion of identity theft. I have a general idea of what I might do. I want to construct some sort of game dealing with the concept of identity. In the wikipedia definition, it states that most people do not know how their identity got stolen in the first place. People tend to be very trusting of technology and giving out their information. I would set up a room or some sort of space with hidden RFID readers. The players would walk around the room with an ID card or some sort of device with an RFID implanted into it. The players would then have their identity stolen, metaphorically. Each card would have information for a fictional character that the player would assume. I hope to develop this idea further and deeper in the next few days. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment