Thursday, November 3, 2011

people machine interaction observation

A few years ago I took my then 3 year old and his friend, who was 4, camping in the Smokey Mountains. I brought along my old Pentax K1000 to shoot some 35mm film I had sitting around.

Nearly everytime I took a picture on the Pentax the kids would run up to see what I had just taken a picture of. They looked at the back of the camera, puzzled that they couldn't see the picture I just took.

Their exposure to digital camera's framed their experience in a way that their expectations we're of an instant image appearing on the back of the camera. Digital cameras were not a new technology for them but the norm and their experience up to that point had never included traditional film cameras.

A similar, yet more popularly known, example of this would be this video, which shows babies interacting with magazines in the same way they interact with iPads.




No comments:

Post a Comment