Sunday, August 28, 2011

Bradbury Short Story

I'm a fan of Ray Bradbury's stories. I remember reading a lot of them in middle and high school, however I hadn't read this one before. I really liked it. I really enjoy science fiction, especially anything regarding the future, robots, and even apocalypse scenarios- hey this story had all of that! Well the apocalypse is more implied here by the absence of people, But I'm always really fascinated with the notion of the world that we've built around us filled with technology and machines. It can function without us, but only to some extent. at some point that technology is reliant on us.
There is this show that I love to watch on the history channel called "Life After People". and its talks about what would happen to the world around us, if one day all the people just disappeared. It shows how buildings would decay and crumble, how the animals would survive on our leftovers, and technology would stop functioning and even cause disasters without our maintenance. This story made me think a lot about that. Even if humans aren't around the world will still function and eventually nature will take the earth back- all traces of the civilization we built and our scientific discoveries will eventually be buried as the world grows over our existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment