Monday, August 29, 2011

Questions on Electricity

Static electricity: By two objects of different materials rubbing against each other, electrons are gained or lost, giving the objects either a positive or a negative charge. The objects then attract opposite charges. The best metaphor to describe the concept of electricity is the water example. The water pressure is the voltage, the tap is the resistor, the stream is the current, and so on and so forth.

An electromagnet can be made from an insulated copper wire and an iron core, like a nail. If you wrap the wire around the iron and attach the battery to the wire, it will become magnetized and create a current.

I would really like to try to make the electroscope and play around with insulators. I think that being able to do this experiment would really solidify my knowledge on electricity. Plus it seems pretty cool to be able to make something move without directly touching it.

I still have a great deal to learn about electricity, and it wont come easy, but I hope this is something I can get a solid grasp on.

No comments:

Post a Comment