Wednesday, August 24, 2011

thoughts on Bradbury story

Within the first paragraph of the story, I was struck by how incredibly annoying it would be if one's household objects communicated aloud via cutesy rhymes. My microwave displays text that says "enjoy your meal", and if it actually spoke, or rhymed, I would throw the wretched thing out the window. Then the voice repeats the date three times. Holy crap, that's obnoxious. Robot mice is just the cutest idea ever, though.

As the story continued, I wondered just how much food the house had stockpiled, and from where it was drawing its power. Solar, I guess, which wouldn't require pumps or pipes or wires.

"But the gods had gone away, and the ritual of the religion continued senselessly, uselessly." That sentence made me think of what was said in lecture today - that our class's focus is on machines that interact with humans, not ones that operate autonomously. If the fictional house had been designed with more emphasis on user feedback, it wouldn't have continued to function pointlessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment