Monday, August 22, 2011

An example of interactive electronic art that made an impression on me was a piece that I've read about and seen photos of, but haven't seen in person. It was a giant robotic snake-creature that was articulated and could move around and be controlled by the audience. It also had flamethrowers in its mouth. The audience could approach it and, using controls built along its length, make it move around and breathe fire. Although this seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen, it was pretty much the coolest thing I'd ever heard of.

I don't really have any experience in electronics. I soldered once before, but it was a crude, sloppy job and I don't really remember how to do it. I've been reading the Beginning Arduino book but I haven't done anything hands-on yet.

I'm not in Digital Media (I'm in photo). I am taking this class because it sounded really cool, although I don't know what kinds of projects are reasonable or unrealistically ambitious. (Obviously I won't be making a giant firebreathing robot.)

No comments:

Post a Comment