Monday, December 21, 2009

Doet 4

Since my final project (adshades) is still being worked on, I will apply the questions of Doet 4 to it.

Constraints of project - The core piece of my project, the glasses with webcam, have a lot of constraints. A lot of people do not know what video glasses are and normally have to be told how to use them. The main cultural constraints of the object being designed like glasses normally gives people the hint that these are worn like glasses. Two screens spaced apart the same distance as eyes give physical clues at how to interact with the device. Currently having to use a computer in a backpack makes the piece much more compicated. If a user purchased my piece, they would have to be able to run the program and wear the computer. I don't know how to fix those issues at this time.

Experiments - I am not able to do the experiments but I could imagine that none of them would turn out well. I have had a few "how about this weather" conversations in elevators and it is just an awkward place to be in. I feel like people would just think i am crazy in an elevator. I also think people would be offended if I gave them money for no reason.

Doors - I can comment on some of the doors around FAC. I find that a lot of the visual clues are correct for the doors, but sometimes they don't function very well. For example the door to the west stairwell in FAC always sticks when you push it, and it always makes people run their bodies into the door accidentally. the strangest doors are in the library. I always have awkward moments when I leave the library and have to deal with a swinging aluminum arm and a door that pushes outward. Once I smacked a girl with the aluminum arm while trying to hold the outer door for her, and I just felt weird.

Visual Cues - I would love for my piece in the future to have a simple, one button interface. My piece could have a simple on/off button for people to interact with it. However the piece has a laptop and a pair of glasses that both have their own battery and interface issues. I am looking into smaller wearable computers that could run the piece in a smaller and easier to use package.

Circuits - so far my experience with circuit diagrams has made me think that they are pretty confusing. As a visual person, I tend to understand how the circuit works better from a picture than from a diagram. Normally the diagram ignores the use of a breadboard or any kind of 3d space. It gets confusing when no lines are allowed to cross or when a simple ground line is made to look way to complex. Normally I sketch out my circuits as how they would appear on a breadboard.

Sound - one situation that is helped from the sound of a device is when a computer is just starting up. With modern technologies, some people have been able to make silent computers. The only problem with this is that you don't if it is actually starting to run or if some cables are unplugged. Another device that is helped by sound is my gas stove. The only way to sense how much gas is coming out is by the sound of it. Otherwise it can't be seen or smelled. I would like to incorporate the recording of sound into my project so when I show the recordings of my piece, people will get a better experience of the environment i was in.

No comments:

Post a Comment