Sunday, December 13, 2009

Project Process

Well, my concept for the project never really changed from my last post. I wanted to create a new experience that combines the physicality of an art form that in history requires actual human hands-on manipulation and almost emotional interaction with that of a more contemporary interface that is still being questioned as an artform today (computers). I wanted to explore the different mediums that computers can provide and how that can parallel more physical, traditional forms.

When painting a painting, one has an almost intimate, emotional connection to the creation itself. I wanted to explore that idea by creating an interface through processing that allowed the viewer to simply click on an emotion and create a painting right in front of them. The list of emotions provided a way to point out this absence of connection that the viewer has to the actual painting, but an almost surreal connection to the manipulation of the computer screen that in turn is creating the painting. I also made the interface mimic the actual painting for this reason as well, to almost create this inverted reaction/connection to their creation.

I originally wanted to frame the actual piece and hide the mechanics, but after discussing it, I think I would rather have it visible. It almost works against me to hide the machines they better enhance this idea of the computer in place of the physicality of the touch that would usually be there. To hide it wouldn't enhance the concept. I also think that I'm going to use a clear catch to show the buildup of paint that aquires as it drips down from the painting in order to show this accumulation paint that is supposed to represent this connection and emotion to be conveyed in the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment