Monday, December 21, 2009

Surplus Walk

I never had a chance to report back on my surplus finding so here it goes.

The first object I looked at was the Life Sytems Corp. LifeSustainer 1000. I thought it would be interesting to look up medical device. The LifeSustainer™ 1000 is a fully automated dual organ perfusion workstation. It represents the next generation in isolated organ perfusion technology.
Basically the machine allows a researcher to deliver nutrients to an animal organ an to study it working. There is an entire computer built inside the unit and i can only imagine the cool sensors in it.

The second object I observed was a spectrofluorophotometer rf-5000. From what I could find this machine uses lights and very sensitive optical scanners to detect all of the different compounds in a sample substance so people can study pharmaceuticals and the environment.

The final machine i looked at was the Waters 484 tunable assorbance detector. It offers versatility in electrochemical detection and in chemical detection. I guess it uses a spinning centrifuge and specific substrates to detect chemicals that pass through materials. Its a little beyond what I know about chemicals.

I guess I ended up looking at a lot of medical devices. They all have interesting technology in them and it would be cool to see what they did in a lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment