Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Okay... I got some catching up to do

I know this is all extremely late, but I'm going to go ahead and do it anyways, just in case I can get any kind of credit.






1) Circuit board:
Here is the picture of the circuit board that we were supposed to take apart. I never posted after being absent that day.




2)We were supposed to post a blog simply explaining how we think something works.

For this blog, I want to try and explain how a television set works. I think that the television, once powered, set has a receptor that allows for transmission signal input. From there, the television probably decodes that signal and projects that image onto the screen pixel by pixel. I know for a fact that it doesn't recieve the whole image at once, so it probably projects the image line for line at a very fast rate to the point that our eye can only see the whole image.





3)DOET 5 Questions
6 types of slips:
1)Capture Errors
-an example of a capture error would be talking to someone and then trying to write a paper. One might accidently write about something they were talking about rather than what their subject is for the paper.

2) Description Errors
-An example of a description error would be attempting to put on socks, but not paying attention, and running through the typical actions, and accidently putting on a different article of clothing.

3) Data Driven Errors
-an example of a data driven error would be interchanging numbers accidently while trying to do math homework right after dialing a number.

4) Associative Activation Errors
- I probably have this error occur the most. While I'm at work, I'll run through the motions of what I'm supposed to say to customers. Sometimes i slip up and ask something like "how are you folks doing tonight" after I've already greated them and served their food, just because I was about to say that to someone else.

5)Loss of Activation Errors
-this one is hard to think of a different example for. I do this often as well... I'll be explaining something to someone, get on a tangent, then forget why I was originally intending to speak to them... then forget where the tangent was going.

6)Mode Error
-I do this type of slip all the time on my cell phone. When it's opened, it's exterior buttons do different things than when it's closed. One will open a camera, or adjust the volume, I'm always interchanging them.



The Connectionist approach is a way your brain asseses and analyzes events that occur. Over time, your brain will lump these events together in a general category giving you an overall perspective or analysis vs a specific one to each event.


Expressions, wide and deep/shallow structures?

Expressions are the interactions to events or things. A wide and deep structure is one that has many possibilities. For each possibility or move taken, others open up. A shallow event is very linear, only really has one or limited options. The group project we worked on was somewhere in the middle. You had the choice to approach the painting, then if you were curious enough, touch the painting, and depending on how hard you touched it, different things would occur.


When doing the group project, there are a lot of repeated actions. The action of testing and writing code. There is much repetition in that. Building the frame has repition with cutting wood. Even the interaction has a repeated action that could result in repeated results.


Here is the map of an area that I explored.

I chose the Fine Arts Library
I really like this space. I go there often. I really am interested in the space that the cubbies provide. I noticed that over half of the people walked in and went immediately to a computer.

A majority of the rest of the people went to a table to set their stuff down and go look around or went to a cubby to study.

The flow of this area isn interesting, because there are many options in the little space provided, you can go upstairs, between bookshelves, to computer desks, in little dark cubby's or open ones above, etc










Finally, Here is the last blog activity. 3 items found in surplus

The first was a Microbalance instrument used for making precise measurements of weight of objects of relatively small mass: of the order of a million parts of a gram. I couldn't find anything about sensors in this specific model, but a Quartz crystal microbalance is a very sensitive mass deposition sensor based on the piezoelectric properties of the quartz crystal. This technique uses the changes in resonance frequency of the crystal to measure the mass on the surface because the resonance frequency is highly dependent on any changes of the crystal mass. A quartz crystal microbalance is capable of measuring mass deposition down to 0.1 nanograms.


The second instrument was a spectrophotometer. A spectrophotometer is a photometer (a device for measuring light intensity) that can measure intensity as a function of the color (or more specifically the wavelength) of light. Important features of spectrophotometers are spectral bandwidth and linear range of absorption measurement.

Perhaps the most common application of spectrophotometers is the measurement of light absorption, but they can be designed to measure diffuse or specular reflectance. Strictly, even the emission half of a luminescence instrument is a type of spectrophotometer.

It seems that it has several sensors: an infrared light sensor, a ph sensor in some, fibre optical sensors, etc.

The third instrument was a auto wash plus model 16203 but I can't find anything about it on the web. I must have copied the serial number wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment