Friday, October 9, 2009

DOET 5 questions

What are the six different varieties of slips? Give a real life example of each (not one found in book).
Capture Errors


Ex: When I bring up mu internet browser to check for a specific homework assignment or some other specific site, I'll end up clicking the link to my email and check that by habit.

Description Errors
Ex: Over the summer I often found myself trying to put my milk in the pantry and my cereal in the fridge after I ate cereal.

Data Driven Errors
Ex: I was watching the tv, and the number of the channel was visible in the top right corner. I wanted to change to Nick, but instead typed in the number that was visible on the screen.

Associative Activation Errors
Ex: Everytime my friends come over to my house, they freak out because our grandfather clock sounds like a doorbell. And even after 8 years they'll still say " is someone at the door?" whenever the grandfather clock goes off.

Loss of Activation Errors
Ex: Often I'll call my friends with something in mind, and as soon as they pick up I either forget who I called or why I called and I have to retrace my thoughts to try and figure out what I wanted to say. (This only works half the time though)

Mode Errors
Ex: On my phone you have to press record twice in order for it to start recording audio. I wanted to record myself doing karaoke and pressed the button once, thinking that it was recording. It wasn't until the end of the song when I pressed the button for it to stop did it start recording and I realized that I hadn't confirmed the second time.

Create a flowchart diagram of the set of interactions a person will undertake when interacting with your groups piece. Where are the potentials for error?

How do you personally memorize/retrieve information? Give examples.

One of the things I notice I do is associate the new thing I'm learning to something I already know. If I'm playing a game and it has a certain rule I'll say "Oh, this is kind of like boggle" or "this rule is the same as in Scrabble". If I'm learning a new language I might notice "They assign consonants and vowels just like the Japanese do". or "This word sounds very similar to this word in Korean.

What is the connectionist approach?

It was hard to get a strong definition, but it seems to be the sum of everything jumbled together, or the big picture. Like you could walk down one street a hundred times, but the one time you got mugged will stand out the most and characterize that street even though it was once in one hundred times. We make associations without consciously thinking about them, and all the stuff we endure layers ontop of one another to create one big image.

Explain what is meant by the expressions, wide and deep structures and shallow structures. What are the potentials for each or perhaps only one of these types of structure in your group’s project?

Wide and deep structures are things which give numerous to infinite choices for a person to choose from. Scrabble would be a good example of endless wordchoices and combinations a player could make and how those choices would then affect their future choices. Monopoly would be a more limited and shallow example as you have choices of what to buy and how many houses to put up, but there are little to no deeper effects. For our project, there will definitely be more of a shallow structure as the viewer's actions will be limited to the dial presented to them.

What activities must a person perform simultaneously when “doing” your groups’s project?

A person must use the potentiometer to alternate between various preset images. They must be aware of the color changes in the image while turning the potentiometer.

No comments:

Post a Comment