Tuesday, October 13, 2009

DOET 5

Capture Error
For one reason or another I was trying to sing 'leaving on a jetplane' one day, and at some point in the song the notes are very similar to a TV Program's theme song and my brain would never allow me to sing the chorus to 'leaving on a jetplane' or even remember it. At the same point in the song everytime I would transition seamlessly to the TV show's theme song. I had no control.

Description Error
In studio I cut a lot of paper. Constantly drawing, cutting and throwing out. Whenever I get into the hang of things I start accidently throwing out the drawings instead of the scraps.

Data Driven Error
I spend a lot of my Anthropology class talking to the person next to me while taking notes, more often then not what I'm writing down is our conversation, not the lecture.

Associative-Action Error
Whenever someone says 'Hi' and I say 'Fine' or when a waiter says 'Enjoy your meal' and I say 'You too'

Loss-of-Activation Error
I'm finding it difficult to think of an example not from the book since the book's example was pretty much a definition of this type of error. But I forget what I'm doing so often its hard to think of one time that stands out.
I'll be flipping through the channels, settle on something, but next time it goes to commercial I'll forget what I was watching, and then keep surfing. This mostly happens when I'm engaged in conversation.

Mode Errors
Whenever I use a game console to watch DVDs I have to navigate the menus and control the movie with a controller that was not designed for this task, so most of them have a button that will switch all of the buttons applications to a new set. I think I've found the pause but its now the chapter-skip button. Those things are a crapshoot

Create a flowchart diagram of the set of interactions a person will undertake when interacting with your groups piece. Where are the potentials for error?
Attach yourself to device>Turn on device>Wait for sensor to adjust>Enjoy your day>become more conscious of yourself and what you say
I guess a real potential for error is improper attachment of the device. Other than that our piece doesn't have a lot that the participator can mess us.

How do you personally memorize/retrieve information?
Repetition and mental conditioning. For test that only require memorization, not comprehension, I'll say something over and over again in my head rhythmically. Or I'll do something physically strange and out of the ordinary so that I have something that stands out in my memory against the blur of text. That way when I see whatever word/name on the test my memory will be highlighted because of the peculiar physical action I did to make that name more notable.

What is the connectionist approach?
Its one of the categorization methods your brain applies to keep you sane, it starts lumping similar events together and giving you a broad opinion rather than individual opinions for every experience you've ever had. But the end result is that you're brain has processed and assessed situations befor they've fully transpired.
My example of how I remembered certain things for tests is a way to avoid this connectionist approach, I introduce a radical new element to avoid my brain lumping all of these similar memories together.

Explain what is meant by the expressions, wide and deep structures and shallow structures. What are the potentials for each or perhaps only one of these types of structure in your group’s project?
Wide and deep structures describe an object's interactive potential. Chess, like the book said, is a very wide, deep structure in that a person has many different options at any moment in time and each decision that person makes only opens the door to more and more opportunity.
Shallow structures are just the opposite.
Our project has a pretty narrow structure. You either put it on or you don't. After that it's all up to the device.

What activities must a person perform simultaneously when “doing” your groups’s project?
A person participating in our group's project won't have to consciously do anything. The device is supposed to be forgotten, only the LEDs should serve as a reminder. The electronics and code will do all the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment