Monday, October 26, 2009

Final Project Brainstorm

I do not yet have a clear project in my mind, but I'd like to investigate private vs. public spaces. Using motion sensors or touch sensors, I could record my movements in public or on the street. Everyday we are exposed to hundreds of people - I'm wondering how much personal space is at stake in crowded situations. What is the tolerance for each individual? How much bumping, grazing goes on? What is the environment in these particular situations?

There's an artist named Lilly McElroy that made a video called "Square", in which she draws a square on a city block in New York about 5 x 5 ft. Whenever someone approaches the limits of the square, she uses her body to block them out of the way. The participants' reactions are interesting. It would be useful to document a project like this with video or photography, which I would also include in the showing of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment