Monday, October 19, 2009

Mapping Library West

I choose to map the entrance of Library West to examine the relationship between our main library and a corporate food vendor. I was really interested in the amount of traffic that goes in there just for coffee or I wonder how many people get caffeinated before they study. After watching for a while, I noticed
  • 75% of people look over at starbucks while they walk by but only about 25% look left at the study area.
  • 25% of traffic goes into starbucks from the front door
  • Starbucks has a certain gravity to it. As people pass by they are sucked closer to the door and if you walk too slow, you are sure to be sucked in.
  • The line reached over 20 people long and disrupted people moving upstairs. Selling 2 $4 drinks a minute adds up $500 an hour that the place takes in.
  • I found it interesting that once you get a coffee, you are not really allowed to go into the library at all.
  • I also noticed that the store logo was placed in an awkward position and no one really looked at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment