Sunday, October 11, 2009

Questions

What are the six different varieties of slips? Give a real life example of each (not one found in book).

-Associative activation error: There was a commercial on TV that would play every day over the summer and it had my same cell phone ring in it. So every time the commercial came on my whole family would shout at me to answer my phone.


-Capture error: Sometimes in my drawing classes we’ll be working on a still life and I’ll make a mark or draw something that isn’t even there just because my mind wonders.


-Description error: I grabbed the wrong remote and got frustrated when I couldn’t get it to perform the function I wanted it to.

-Data-driven error: I get certain numbers and letters mixed up when I’m writing fast. Usually I’ll confuse similarly shaped characters.

-Loss-of-activation error: I often make plans for myself that I need to do by a certain time or I’ll ask my friends to remind me to do these tasks. I’ve found that I can’t trust my friends to remember my chores anymore than I can trust myself and that there is a big chance I’ll forget to do it if I don’t make a note for myself.

-Mode error: The volume setting on my cell phone has to either time out or you have to press the “done” button once the adjustment has completed. If you receive a call/text before doing either of those things or if you hit any other button the process will not be successful. One time I was working on my computer while I was waiting for a call. I got angry waiting for the person to call me and after some time passed I finally looked at my phone and saw I missed the phone call because it was on vibrate still and not turned up like I wanted it to be.



Create a flowchart diagram of the set of interactions a person will undertake when interacting with your groups piece. Where are the potentials for error?


Initial Reaction: You will see a framed piece of red, silky fabric on the wall. It will be attractive in nature and will draw you closer. There will be a title on the wall next to it that is a list of synonyms for the word “touch.” You will feel compelled to touch it.


Physical Interaction: Once you make contact with the piece you notice that it is soft and smooth. It feels nice on your hand and makes you want to keep interacting with it.


Sound Interaction: Once you make physical contact with the piece a pressure sensor gages the force you have applied and emits an audio file that corresponds to it. This interaction will also compel you to continually interact with the piece.



How do you personally memorize/retrieve information? Give examples.

-I often memorize information by making small notes to myself in a casual language that I use most frequently. I also space out the information on my paper or on the computer so I can glance at it and recall the image in my head more easily. For instance if I have a long page of material that I need to know, I’ll go through and pick out the highlights then rewrite them on their own on the paper.


What is the connectionist approach?

- It’s basically like taking a task that you do many times and only remembering it as one generic memory. Like brushing your teeth for example. You brush your teeth multiple times daily (hopefully) but can you remember what happened specifically when you brushed your teeth a month ago or just the fact that you did the action and apply a generic memory to it?


Explain what is meant by the expressions, wide and deep structures and shallow structures. What are the potentials for each or perhaps only one of these types of structure in your group’s project?

- Wide and deep structures give you many options or choices upon interaction. Our project will allow for several types of contact but will only have a few auditory responses depending on the amount of pressure applied.


What activities must a person perform simultaneously when “doing” your group’s project?

-They must physically touch our piece and listen to the sounds it emits to decide how forcefully they’ll continue to make contact with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment