Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Ray Bradbury "There Will Come Soft Rains" Response

Thankfully, my daily interaction with technology isn’t as annoying as the interactions in the story. I think it would suck to have constant verbal alerts in a robotic voice going off all over the house. I think one of the main differences is we can choose when we want to actively use technology, such as logging on the computer or taking out your phone, while the house is just yelling the time at you every 15 minutes. However, I do like to set alarms on my phone, and it has a similar effect. For example, I have an alarm to call my mom at a certain time every week, and the house has a notification to tell people it’s time to rush to school and work. We also do have sensors such as fire alarms that alert in a panicked way (thankfully not a robot voice) to alert when there are fires. Our interactions with technology are usually not so humanized as the story is implying, such as when it selects a poem to read to the past resident of the house. Technology right now is not really seen as a viable companionship source.  But hey, maybe we’ll be at that point and find that in vogue in 2026. They’re already making therapy robots, such as the cute seal robot seen below, that visits hospitals and interacts with the patients.


No comments:

Post a Comment