Monday, August 26, 2013

Apocalypse Response 8-26-13

The apocalypse came to Gainesville, pick a room or set of rooms in your home. Describe what electronic processes would continue to occur regardless of human presence. Be very thorough and specific. How long would these processes continue without intervention by humans? Bradbury writes science fiction. Is this piece plausible within our current situation? Why or why not?

If the apocalypse came to Gainesville, I would go to my bathroom because there are no windows in there and it would be safer than say the living room or my actual bedroom. Regardless of human presence, the toilet will still continue to process. I imagine the toilet being scared of everything that's going on. As a result of it being so afraid, it would flush rapidly every 5 to 10 minutes or so until the apocalypse was eventually over. When I wash my hands, my sink faucet wouldn't turn off and get a mind of its own. My shower head would probably do the same thing. If you think about it, if I were to leave everything on, these things would eventually run out because they all utilize water, a scarce resource that this world has. If it was oil, then I think it would not run out. I think this piece is plausible within our current world situation, but not at the moment. I think farther down the line, when technology advances a bit more, is when we will be able to see these electronic processes have a mind of their own and not depend on human interaction. It's funny to see that Bradbury writes this story as science fiction, but I believe soon this will be how the world is. Humans will no longer be needed for various electronics and the on/off switch or button will be extinct. These electronics will have "brains" of their own, allowing them to function whenever, wherever, without the need for a electronic-to-human relationship, therefore scheduling their own electronic processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment