Monday, August 26, 2013

Soft Rains/Apocalypse

The room that I choose to analyze in my home is my bedroom. If I were to suddenly disappear my laptop would continue to be operational for several days so long as it wasn't open or in use. I presume that the power plant that supplies power to most of the electronics in this room would cease to function without human interaction, so my desktop computer and ceiling fan would likely become useless very quickly. My cell phone has enough charge to last several days with minimal use, but I don't know that I'd still get any kind of signal. Satellite signal perhaps? The GPS may still work. The battery operated electronics like my flashlight or remote control (though useless with a powerless TV) would still be functioning for quite some time. The air conditioner, being dependent on the power grid also, would likely not be functional. Ocean, wind, and solar energy generators would likely be undisturbed so some places may still have power (though I don't believe that my room is one of them).

No comments:

Post a Comment