Monday, August 26, 2013

Gainesville Apocalypse

It's seven thirty in the morning, the rasping tone of an alarm breaks the silence of the room, the buzzing of the phone joining the repetitive sound as its volume gradually increases. It goes on for five minutes before the light on the screen blinks out, and the room becomes quiet again.

It's eight o'clock. The discording harmony starts again. Eight fifteen, eight thirty, nine o'clock...
The phone doesn't ring again.

The room seeps into silence for the rest of the day, without purpose or meaning, without anyone to connect or awake.

It's six thirty-six PM, the phone gives a shrill warning, the battery is almost empty.

It's seven thirteen PM, the phone lights up; one last attempt to stay alive, then blinks out. The phone is dead.

----------

I think in my case, at least in my room, the only electronic process that would keep on going without me would be my phone, as it has alarms set up for every day of the week. But the battery only lasts so long, and it would soon die. My computer and iphone would be none the wiser, sitting on their desk and gathering dust with no one to use them or start them up at all.

I think Bradbury's story is an interesting way to view the lack of purpose that technology has without its masters, and the codependence this speaks of for the future (and the present). I don't know that we'll get to a point were everything is so automatized, but if we do, and it is not destroyed with everything else in the event of an Apocalyptical event, then I assume that yes, it would most likely keep on going without purpose until it dies out.

No comments:

Post a Comment