Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Final Process.4

hahahahahahaha is life a joke maybe wow I'm super stressed and don't really know what to do. It's 8:05 pm and sure enough my wave shield still isn't working. I think I might have to scratch everything and start with something new. wow. okay. well while I was working on the wave shield I was thinking this moment might happen and here it is. but I was also thinking about what I would do if I had to change my idea last moment...

I would start with what I know. I was so so so excited about working with my cool brain sounds that I didn't even think that I might not get it to work. A week isn't a lot of time to learn how to work a whole new sensor. Not even sensor. Like a whole new arduino that plays sound. But isn't as intuitive as the arduino. Whatever anyways here's what I know with sensor projects:
-any of the activities that we did in class/for homework. some of them are pretty cool so that wouldn't be too bad
-sound and LEDs. if I were to go down this path, I'd probably scratch the whole brain thing but keep the conversation element.

So based off these things, I'm going to go with another sound and LED project. I've been thinking about conversation, what it means to have a connection with another person or thing, and what it means to exchange ideas by spoken word. Also, I love that when you have a conversation with someone, you stop what you're doing to pay attention to them. You look into their eyes, sit across from them, engage them directly. It's a pretty intimate thing. And going off of these ideas, I've been thinking what it would mean if you couldn't easily have a conversation with someone, like there was always some kind of distraction. With my knowledge of sound and LED, I could make this happen, where there's some kind of lamp that's hooked up to sound sensors (one for each person) and it goes off only when they're talking. I'd have them be in a dark room and they can only see each other if they talk enough. I think it would be really interesting to see what people do. Would one person constantly be trying to emit some consistent noise? Would the two totally ignore each other and instead focus on the lamp and trying to get it to go off? Would they ignore the lamp completely and chat with each other like normal?
I realize I'm grasping at straws here but I can't do the wave shield thing because I won't be able to present anything in class tomorrow. I don't know how to get it to work and pulling at my hair until crit won't help anything. I want to present something and so I need to change my idea asap. I wish I had realized this sooner but I was hopeful and we did only start this a week ago.
However, I think my new idea could have some potential. I'm not just totally trying to make it sound awesome, I am actually really interested in conversation. All of my research about communicating with brains made me think about what it means to talk with someone for an extended period of time and what it means for them to respond back to you, not just in EEG frequencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment