Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Process and Documentation Final Project: Portable Automated Bird Caller

Here are all of my reference sites and sounds!

I am in love with this library. I have so much to learn from this website, xeno-canto.org
It provides so much detail! I could find bird calls specifically recorded in Florida!

It also allowed me to differentiate between bird calls via spectograms!!!
XC192423 Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) :: xeno-canto
XC130965 Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) :: xeno-canto
XC153654 Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) :: xeno-canto 
XC170060 Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) :: xeno-canto
XC141908 Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) :: xeno-canto
XC141908-CARW_20130707_MarshCreekSP_LS100180.mp3

A video of a game whistle:
Dove Call (D-90) by Haydel's Game Calls - YouTube

An interesting article on mocking birds. I remember coming across the article a while back.
I have to agree with it, as I've been flown at on campus before for being curious more than once, of a palm tree across from the architecture building.  
05 » Research: Mockingbirds, no bird brains, can recognize a face in a crowd » University of Florida

My research on Florida Birding! Nice resources...
Birding Basics | Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail
Birds | Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail

How to Support Wildlife DIY
Cir 1429/UW175: Landscaping Back>yards for Wildlife: Top Ten Tips for Success

UF Resources
Florida Wildlife Extension at UF/IFAS




The following are my process and documentation videos (spark fun mono amp):









Here is a link to the Bird Calls List:
Bird Call Edits

Here is a link to my Arduino Code:
Birding Project


Post Critique Reflections

My intention for this piece was to create a Portable Bird Caller. The proximity of spectators would trigger varied bird calls. For the presentation of the piece, I had it set outside to blend with the natural wildlife sounds of the campus. This aspect of the project was successful. Viewers managed to trigger the Mourning Dove, the Carolina Wren, and the Northern Cardinal calls.

The second aim of this piece was to play off of the concept of "what is real?" This is a topic that we have been discussing across courses in the program. I got nervous at critique, as I was unprepared. I wanted to put on a performance as a believable Ornithologist expert. Time and sensor struggles did not offer me time to map out a dialogue needed to sell the Bird Caller product and inform students of bird call interpretations and sightings. I loved the research involved with this project, but I really wish I had honed in on the concept with a successful performance rather than the brain fart I succumbed to.  I am very curious about birds and their means of communication. Such small beings produce calls that travel across campus. Their messages are echoed, and I wish with all my heart that I could do more than overhear the conversation. If only I could join, contribute, and yet understand. In that way, this Bird Caller box is successful. But it does need a lot more development.

I had been struggling between amplifiers to make the sound clear and loud. I had to choose a spark fun amplifier over an Adafruit amplifier. It worked out as a mono amp and my files played as I used Audacity to make them mono audio files. I wanted the mourning dove whistle to sound more realistic to follow the theme, but ended up accidentally making it quieter instead of deeper in audacity.

Stereo 3.7W Class D Audio Amplifier - MAX98306
This product was surprisingly difficult to get to work with the wave shield. I hooked it up with the learning guides, but it refused to cooperate.  After 4 hours of troubleshooting and then advice from Katerie, I moved on to Sparkfun which only took...five to ten minutes to assemble and hook up.  I felt incredibly silly. But was grateful that it worked.




Mono Audio Amplifier Quick Start


Working with the wave shield was easy. As long as the file names are short, as the audio listed above proves, the wave shield won't fail. The Rangefinder however, was sensitive. I expected to work with it's different ranges...
Like the previous project I referenced this project:
Pumpkin, Wave Shield, and Range Finder

I guess I was confused with measurements in the code because the readings were quite finicky for the Bird Caller's range finder.
For future similar projects, I will definitely consider presentation more. I liked the feedback from critique that referenced seemingly natural objects with obvious technology incorporated into the structure. Like speaker boulders at theme parks and zoos. I'd like to incorporate that feedback for future use, and hopefully my audience will walk away with new knowledge of birds...whether it's valid or invalid. If my audience believes in me, I will definitely interpret a bird call dialogue next time. I hope to further this project to some extent at some point.

More Inspiration

Also I found this reading that proved significant to this semester. It made me reflect on creating based off the perspective of the user...
The More You Fail, The Greater Your Success: A User-Centered Design Case Study

Here is a small blog on the uniqueness of bird calls:
What is in a Song?






No comments:

Post a Comment