Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Xbee communication and exploration

I am attempting to connect two Xbee series 1 chips together wirelessly. I started off reading about the chips on the sparkfun website. here.
https://www.sparkfun.com/pages/xbee_guide

That led me to the website from Xbee about each model, I chose the Xbee series 1.

http://www.digi.com/support/productdetail?pid=3257&osvid=0&type=documentation

This had me go to a site or PDF for an Xbee startup kit trial run, which I thought would bring me to be able to communicate between the 2 Xbees.  After starting the trial run according to directions I needed to solder the Xbee's breakout board for the second Xbee to be housed to communicate. The first Xbee was hooked up to the mini USB cable and windows downloaded drivers for it. I then needed to download the communications software and update it from the manufacturers website. I then took the second Xbee chip and inserted it into the breakout board and then into a bread board so that I could power it on, so I could test communications and range. Having both Xbee's hooked up I opened the software and tried communication but it timed out, no signal. I was unsure of the solders that I had made on the breakout board so I decided instead to place the second Xbee into the second Xbee explorer board, power that up with some jumper wires and see if it would communicate now. It did not, I received multiple time outs again. This is the website of the PDF I was using to try and make the communications.

 http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90002160_A.pdf

They show the second Xbee as having a different form of breakout board. I don't think this is the issue since it told me just to power on the xbee. I also don't believe it is an issue with the second Xbee since there was no setup involved for series 1 Xbees, according to the sparkfun website. So at this point I am unsure why the 2 chips will not communicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment