Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Final Project Process 1.3

I decided the kind of fabric I would get would direct the overall conception of the project and for some reason I kept being drawn to these really cheesy, overdone prints. I thought about kitsch and its relation to technology. It seems as though technology and art can be a steep slope in trying to avoid creating a project that is in "poor taste". From this standpoint I started thinking about the conversations we have had in the initial conceptions of our projects, making sure they don't fall along these lines and remain conceptually strong. It caused me to wonder about where kitsch fits in with the everyday and the how conversations relating to kitsch and technology may be fruitful in understanding these relations. Thus I decided to go towards the route of kitsch and doing a kind of performative piece as a means to open up a place for this kind of conversation.

With that in mind I bought two yards of what I perceived to be a very kitsch fabric relating to the beach:


No comments:

Post a Comment